Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. I was trying to figure out what to wear to church yesterday so I decided to stop by and share my quick tips to selecting an outfit.
My top 6 are the following;
- Assess how you feel – This is a great place to start because it helps you choose what will compliment your feeling or even change how you feel. For example, if you’re not in tune with your feelings, you can select an outfit that is dark, plain and shabby without realizing that you just dressed yourself to match your feelings and sometimes that only prolongs that feeling. Sometimes the secret is to dress the opposite of what you feel if it’s negative so you can snap out of your funk. I’m sharing this because it works a lot for me. If I’m feeling tired, down or upset, I may decide to pick something colorful and fun to wear and by the time I’m done my mood has lightened up.
- Decide how you want to present yourself – Understanding yourself will help you know what exactly you want to express through your outfit and what statement you want to make. According to Miuccia Prada, “What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today when human contacts go so fast. Fashion is instant language.” So, my suggestion is always look your best and present yourself in the best way possible.
- Ask yourself if you are comfortable – Yes I said comfortable because some people don’t believe in that. They think discomfort comes with the territory of looking good as the saying goes, “No pain, no gain” but I disagree. I think you should be comfortable in whatever you wear because if you’re not, it shows. We can all tell when someone is uncomfortable in their skin and in their clothes even though they may look great. Also I know a person is more confident when they are comfortable and guess what, confidence is sexy.
- Decide on your Style – Being stylish doesn’t necessarily equate to trends. Style is elegance, sophistication, edgy, punk etc. You can buy fashion items/accessories and even high end brands but money can’t buy you style…. well unless you pay a stylist to do the work. You have to decide on your style and decide on how you will wear an outfit, how you can mix fabrics, patterns, colors and accessories.
- Figure out your body type – Everyone is unique and special which is why we all come in different shapes and sizes, with different features. By understanding your body type, regardless of what you hate or love about your body will help you a lot. You have to make choices that will enhance your features and complement your body type while masking perceived troubled areas. 6. What’s the Occasion – Last but not least is what are you dressing up for. Where are you going to, what type of event is it, what’s the setting or the dress code? All these can help you in deciding what to wear.
So, next time you have hard time selecting an outfit for the day or an event, use these tips and by the time you get to step 6 you’ll be ready to slay.